The Building Project
Our existing accommodation in the Newland Christian Centre cannot satisfy demand. The numbers of people wanting to attend groups which meet in the Centre are increasing, and we would like to host additional activities for different sectors of the community to meet new needs. We have therefore been considering for some time how best to deal with the problem.
A solution emerged in 2017 when the former HSBC bank at 550 Beverley Road, next door to the Newland Christian Centre, came up for sale. This would meet our need for additional and flexible accommodation and facilities and, in autumn 2017, our bid for its purchase was accepted.
The intention is to make the old bank and the Newland Christian Centre into an integrated and enlarged Centre (see drawing).
We have evolved plans, adjusting as we went to keep the estimated cost within a figure which we think is achievable, and work began on the conversion mid-September 2019.
Timetable of work
Local builders, Voase, are the main contractors. The work is expected to take about 15 weeks, making the likely completion in early January.
There will be additional, mostly cosmetic work (such as decorating, fitting blinds and furnishings) to be undertaken afterwards, but we hope to begin using the expanded Newland Christian Centre early in the New Year.
Inevitably, the building work will affect the short-term use of the NCC and we have arranged alternative accommodation for our activities during this time.
- We are looking to outside sources, but that is unlikely to provide sufficient monies.
- We may also have to consider short term loans until promised money comes in.
- Ultimately, the greater part of the funding will need to be raised from members of the Trust and our supporters.
There are various ways to give to support the project.
Do please continue to pray for the project.
For further information:
A Building Co-ordinating Group has been established, made up of TNCT Trustees and others.
If you have any comments or suggestions, or for further information, please contact:
- (Chairman of the Building Co-ordinating Group)
- Melvin Tinker, Scott McKay or Pete Birnie
- other members of the Group (James Belham, John Emmerson, Tim Mitchell, Heather Payne, Geoff Waring, Viv Whitton and Beverley Wing)
Download the latest Building Project newsletter here.